Friday, August 24, 2007

Falling off the curb

I fell off the curb this morning while thinking about my first year in AA. Five passers-by offered their hands and asked, "Are you Ok?" I did not take any because I could get back up by myself, but I was touched: The anonymous crowd is not aloof as it seems; its humaneness is only revealed by mishaps. Zhuang Zi writes, "相濡以沫,不若相忘于江湖, " roughly translated as "Better to swim freely in the rivers and lakes and forget each other than moistening each other with spittle (when the pond is dry)." It's true.

P.S. No picture to go with this entry.

8 comments:

Nicholas Theisen said...

I, in my capacity as an idealist with a negative opinion of human nature, would have to say that people often offer there hand because they'd rather not appear to others as selfish and uncaring, though not always. While some people, myself included, feel so guilty about being in reality totally self-absorbed that when a person in obvious trouble lands right in front of them, they are shaken into a momentary fit of generosity. Rest assured, we go right back to being self-absorbed.

Michael K. said...

Niku, you're an abyss of cynicism.

I, for one, like being spit on.

water said...

HAAAHAHAHAAA! You two are hilarious! Now I am back to self-absorption while waiting to be spit on!

Michael K. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nicholas Theisen said...

"I fell off the curb this morning while thinking about my first year in AA."

this is so you in a nutshell, savage, that it makes me giggle every time i read it.

water said...

glad i am not myself all the time though. my knee is still purple. hehe.

Michael K. said...

Writing diss. chapters is just SO last year, Laotzi.

water said...

i know, that's why my self-loathing level is at the highest at the moment.

thanks for dropping by, happy yellow man.